As a longtime supporter of the Southern Foodways Alliance, Mountain Valley is always happy to have a seat at the table for their annual Fall Symposium in Oxford, Mississippi. An institute of the Center for the Study of Southern Culture at the University of Mississippi, the Southern Foodways Alliance is dedicated to the documentation, study and exploration of the foodways of the American South.
In the Fall of 2021, SFA's documentary work and programming focused on Environments and Transformations. Their weekend-long Symposium featured panels, conversations and programming around this theme and, of course, great meals that celebrate the best of the South.
During the weekend, attendees were invited to a Cathead Toast from our friends at Cathead Distillery with cocktails and mocktails by their Bartender in Residence Erin Ashford of Olamaie in Austin, including one special cocktail featuring - you guessed it - Mountain Valley Sparkling Spring Water. Recipe below.
Between Land & Sea
By Erin Ashford of Olamaie in Austin
- 5 ounces Bristow gin
- 6 1/2 ounces Cocchi Americano Bianco
- 2 ounces Salers Aperitif gentian liqueur
- 1/4 ounce fino sherry, such as Lustau Jarana
- 3 1/2 ounces lemon cordial*
- 12 dashes orange bitters, such as Regan's
- 1 750 ML Mountain Valley Sparkling Water
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for finishing
- Pickled okra to garnish, such as Talk O' Texas
- Pour the first six ingredients into a small serving pitcher (at least 24 ounces) and gently stir to combine.
- Set out Collins or highball glasses, and pour 2 to 3 ounces of the mixture into each glass.
- Fill glasses with cubed ice, then top each with Mountain Valley Sparkling Spring Water and gently stir once, using a bar spoon.
- Using a pipette, drop 3 to 5 drops of olive oil on top of the ice, then garnish each drink with one piece of pickled okra. Makes 6 cocktails.
*FOR THE LEMON CORDIAL: Make a simple syrup by combining 1 cup sugar with 8 ounces water in a small saucepan. Cook on medium-high heat and stir until sugar is completely dissolved and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. In a separate container, combine 15 ounces of the
simple syrup with 15 ounces fresh lemon juice. Stir or shake the mixture to combine fully. Store in a lidded container in the refrigerator for up to 30 days.
Photography provided by Jai Williams.