Did you know sparkling water is not just a refreshing beverage, but also a great baking companion? The bubbles in sparkling water can actually make batters and doughs lighter and fluffier by adding air bubbles that expand while baking. And baking with flavored sparkling water? Well, that adds extra flavor and lightness to anything from a pancake or waffle batter to a sweet or savory bread dough.
Mountain Valley Blackberry Pomegranate Sparkling inspired one of our favorite recipe creators, Buttermilk by Sam, to create these incredibly beautiful (and equally delicious!) Pomegranate Blackberry Rolls. The natural fruit essence of sweet blackberries and tart pomegranate in our award-winning Blackberry Pomegranate Sparkling is the star of the show not only in the dough for these rolls, but also in the deliciously dreamy glaze. Full recipe below, enjoy!
Blackberry Pomegranate Rolls Recipe
- 1 tsp active dry yeast, 4g
- ½ cup Mountain Valley Blackberry Pomegranate Sparkling Water at room temperature, 120g
- ¼ cup granulated sugar, 50g
- ½ cup sour cream, 120g
- 2 ½ cups bread flour, 300g
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- Blackberry jam
- pomegranate arils (optional)
- chia seeds (optional)
- 2 cups powdered sugar, 240g
- 2-4 tablespoons Mountain Valley Blackberry Pomegranate Sparkling Water or juice of blackberries or pomegranate arils
- Set the yeast into the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a dough hook and pour in the sparkling water over it. Add a pinch of the sugar and let foam for a minute or two. Then, add the remaining sugar, the sour cream, bread flour, vanilla and sea salt. Knead on medium for about 15 minutes, until the dough comes together in a smooth mass.
- Transfer to an oiled bowl, turn the dough a couple of times to cover it with the oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until nearly doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Onto a floured counter-top, roll out the dough until it’s about 9x13”. Spread the jam over the dough in a thin, even layer (don’t overdo the jam or the rolls will be very difficult and messy to slice). Sprinkle some chia seeds and pomegranate arils over it, if using. Roll the dough up into a log from the longer side.
- Prepare a greased 9x9” square pan or a brownie pan with parchment paper. Use a bread knife or unwaxed floss to cut the log into 6 even slices. Place into prepared pan and cover with a flour sack towel. Let rise for another hour, until puffy and when gently poked, the dough leaves an indentation.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Bake the rolls for 20-13 minutes until golden.
- Make the glaze by whisking together the powdered sugar and sparkling water and/or berry juice. Spread over the rolls.
- Store in an airtight container. Rolls are best the day of but can be warmed in the microwave the next day.
*Makes 6 rolls. Recipe is easily doubled (if doubled, bake in a 9x13” cake pan).
Have you tried baking with Mountain Valley Spring or Sparkling waters? We'd love to see what you make! Be sure to tag @mountainvalleywater on Instagram or Facebook and let us know. Happy baking!